ONCE AGAIN THE BLOGESPHERE SHOWS ITS STRENGTH

In a display of a true sense of loyalty to the zionist governments of Israel and the United States, the Egyptian government has made their position very clear on their treatment of the VivaPalestina Convoy.


Anyone watching the evening news in Israel tonight would not even know that a Convoy arrived a few days ago and due to the combined efforts of the US, Egyptian and Jordanian governments they have not been allowed to enter Gaza with their supplies of humanitarian aid.

The Blogesphere is playing a more important role daily as the commercial mass media chooses to ignore the REAL issues of the day. DesertPeace is proud to be a part of this phenomenon. Hopefully you are keeping up to date via us and others that tell it as it is.

The following is just one example of what you won’t be reading in the New York Times…..
Egypt: Viva Palestina must obey our rules

The Egyptian government has the right to determine through which port aid convoys to Gaza can arrive, and to request cooperation from the activists, Husam Zaki, spokesman of the Egyptian foreign ministry told Egyptian TV on Monday.

Zaki told Egypt’s Channel Two that activists had finally listened to government orders, saying they would re-route the convoy to travel via Al-Arish, the Mediterranean port, rather than Nuweiba, the Red Sea port.

Viva Palestina organizers lamented in a statement that the demand would “add days and costs to the journey, as it [would] entail hiring ships and sailing around the Sinai Peninsula through the Suez canal.” The first two convoys also traveled to Gaza via Al-Arish, and organizers did not explain why they had changed course for this trip.

The first Viva Palestina convoy, backed by British MP George Galloway, started in the UK, went south to Spain, then across North Africa to Egypt. For second convoy, in June, delegates flew into Cairo and drove equipment to the Rafah crossing.

The latest convoy travelled through Europe to Turkey and down to Jordan via Syria. Egyptian spokesman Zaki said he understood why the group chose to travel through Turkey.

“We realized the political goals behind passage through Turkey, most of the participants and the aid were from Turkey,” Zaki said. He said Egypt had no problem with Turkish aid and Viva Palestina delegates coming into the country, but asked that participants respect the government decision.

He explained that a route for the convoy via Al-Arish had been approved by Egypt’s security services, adding that all aid destined for Gaza was required to clear at the port in Al-Arish only.

Zaki said the convoy organizers were informed of the rules, but said the “did not even bother to reply” to the Egyptian communiqué.

Organizers told Ma’an they notified Egyptian officials of both the route of the third convoy and details of all the participants “well in advance” of the travel date, and added that they were only told of the rules preventing them from using the Nuwbia port on 21 December.

Zaki said the route for the convoy via Al-Arish had been approved by Egypt’s security services, adding that all aid destined for Gaza was required to clear at the port in Al-Arish only.

Zaki said the convoy organizers were informed of the rules, but said the “did not even bother to reply” to the Egyptian communiqué. A spokeswoman from the Viva Palestina office in London said the accusation was false.


5 Comments

  1. kassandra said,

    December 29, 2009 at 22:10

    AlJazeera English TV has given Gaza all-day coverage, and that includes repeated coverage for both the convoy and the Code Pink people. The coverage has been especially good because, aside from a couple of Egypt government officials, all reporting of Gaza has not included the so-called “opposite” view that media feels it has to have. Do we really need the views of Jack the Ripper after he’s murdered his 24th victim?

    George Galloway was also interviewed. Unfortunately, he must have been utterly tired and disgusted, so he went after an absolutely sympathetic alJazeera interviewer.

    I’ve been sending e-mails to Madame Mubarak at info@womenforpeaceinternational. Don’t know if they’re reaching her, but the e-mails are not being returned.

  2. Joe Gall said,

    December 29, 2009 at 22:47

    Keep it up, you bloggers. You too, kassandra.

  3. December 29, 2009 at 23:31

    […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ken Schaefer, theopolitico. theopolitico said: ONCE AGAIN THE BLOGESPHERE SHOWS ITS STRENGTH: Anyone watching the evening news in Israel this evening would not ev… http://bit.ly/60tjQD […]

  4. December 30, 2009 at 12:07

    […] Suez canal.” The first two convoys also traveled to Gaza via Al-Arish, … See more here:  ONCE AGAIN THE BLOGESPHERE SHOWS ITS STRENGTH « Desertpeace Share and […]

  5. December 30, 2009 at 22:45

    […] Suez canal.” The first two convoys also traveled to Gaza via Al-Arish, … Original post:  ONCE AGAIN THE BLOGESPHERE SHOWS ITS STRENGTH « Desertpeace Share and […]


%d bloggers like this: