This weekend’s Jerusalem Post seems like something of a preview of the April Fool’s Edition yet to come. It has two feature articles that are as much removed from reality as anything published in The Onion…
One article deals with Israeli Apartheid Week, featuring a photo of an article written by our Associate Mazin Qumsiyeh;
This ploy, most likely to give the impression that the Boycott is strictly a Palestinian issue with only Palestinians involved.
But, the writer then clarifies this by citing the International character of the Boycott; Feeling confused and disoriented? Suffering from a heightened sense of anxiety? No wonder. It’s March, and the seasonal outbreak of Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW), now extended to a full month by popular demand, is manifesting itself in college towns everywhere. Eventually it will subside of its own accord, but in the meantime, to alleviate symptoms, keep reading.
He continues with reasons why the Boycott is unnecessary….
First of all, there is our Declaration of Independence, unequivocally calling for “the development of the country for the benefit of all its inhabitants,” and explicitly ensuring “complete equality… irrespective of religion, race or sex.”
These are not mere words. Through six conflict- ridden decades, we have held tenaciously to the sacred pursuit of “freedom, justice and peace as envisaged by the prophets of Israel” to which the state was committed at its founding, never resorting either to the repression or expulsion of our Arab population. At every level, the facts belie any possible characterization of Israel as practicing state-sanctioned racism:
• Arab citizens enjoy full and equal voting rights (women as well as men, something still denied them in other Middle Eastern countries).
• Arabs currently hold 14 of the 120 seats in the Knesset.
• Arabs have routinely served at the highest echelon of the civil, legislative and judicial authorities, filling such positions as minister, deputy speaker of the Knesset, ambassador and Supreme Court justice.
• Laws of compulsory education apply equally to Arabs and Jews and universities are open equally to all citizens.
• Arabs can be found in every sector of the economy, working alongside their Jewish colleagues as doctors, professors, filmmakers, hitech executives and lawyers, with their membership in labor unions taken for granted.
• There are no legal restrictions as to where Arabs may live, and neither religion nor ethnicity may be applied as a basis for denying purchase of land.
The name of the column this appears in is called ‘Keep Dreaming’, very appropriate title considering it is nothing but….
It can be read in it’s entirety HERE.
Then, there’s my favourite columnist, ‘Psycho Gal’…. this week she blathers on about Netanyahu, ending her tirade with Netanyahu is reportedly considering unveiling his new diplomatic initiative in a speech before Congress in May. If he were to use that venue to unveil this plan and also announce a plan to wean Israel off US military aid within three years, not only would he blunt Obama’s power to threaten Israel. He would secure popular US support for Israel for years to come.
Wean Israel off US military aid within three years??? Reality is they just asked America for an additional 20 BILLION DOLLAR$ to supplement the already 3.5 BILLION they get every year.
Her column can be read HERE if you have nothing better to do…
zionism is definitely not a joke, but it is good for a few laughs every now and again 😉