Following a request from Mohammad Abu Khdeir’s family, the murdered teenager’s name has been removed from the Victims of Acts of Terror Memorial at Mount Herzl.
The Abu Khdeir family say that they do not consider themselves Israelis, and that they only found out about Mohammad’s inclusion from the media.
At sundown tonight Israel will honour its fallen soldiers and victims of terrorism. For the first time a Palestinian victim of zioterror will be added to the list …. but not the thousands of victims in Gaza and the Occupied West Bank that were also victims.
Palestinian teen, who was burned alive by Jewish settlers, was added to the Victims of Acts of Terror Memorial at Mount Herzl; ‘This is a great initiative to honor my son, but I’m more interested in justice,’ says father.
Mohammed Abu Khdeir recognized as terror victim at Mount Herzl
Mohammed Abu Khdeir, the Palestinian teenager from East Jerusalem who was kidnapped and murdered by Jewish settlers last summer, has been added to the Victims of Acts of Terror Memorial at Mount Herzl, Israel Radio reported on Tuesday morning.
His name was also added to the list of terror victims in the government-run website.
The Defense Ministry recognized Abu Khdeir as a victim of “hostile action” in July, some two weeks after he was murdered.
Hussein Abu Khdeir, Mohammed’s father, told Ynet that “this is a great initiative meant to honor my son, but I’m more interested with something else entirely: For the court to do justice with those who burned my son alive, and sentence them to the appropriate punishment.”
Hussein was referring to the fact defense lawyers for some of the accused plan to claim their clients are mentally unfit to stand trial.
“My son is gone, my son was burned and we were burned with him. I want justice and not honor. What good is it going to do me if they carve his name in stone?” Hussein said.
Mohammed Abu Khdeir, 16, was murdered shortly after the bodies of three Israeli teens – Gil-Ad Shaer, Naftali Frenkel and Eyal Yifrach – were discovered after they were kidnapped and murdered near Hebron.
The accused, 30-year-old Yosef Ben-David and two minors, kidnapped Abu Khdeir from the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Shuafat and burned him alive at the Jerusalem Forest.
Hussein said that since the murder early on the morning of July 2, 2014, members of the family have been in a bad state.
“Mohammed’s mother, his brothers and sisters, and I, can’t stop experiencing hardships. Our entire life is gone. We have mental problems in the family since it happened,” he said.
“I don’t forget for a moment that at court, my son’s murderers look at me and laugh and enjoy themselves. How would you feel if someone burned your son alive and smiled at court? It made me and his mother sick. We can’t leave the house. Every night I think about how he was burned,” he added.
Not Without a Backlash from the right ….
Activists want murdered Arab teen’s name dropped from list of terror victims
Mohammed Abu Khdeir was beaten and burned to death last summer in retaliation for the kidnapping and murder of three Jewish teens in the West Bank.
“Abu Khdeir wasn’t murdered as a political statement concerning Israel’s existence — he was killed in a crazed act committed by criminals,” an official of the Almagor Terror Victims Association told the Kikar Hashabat website. “You can’t compare a random murder by people whose sanity is in question to institutionalized actions by states and enemy organizations.”
Hussein Abu Khdeir, Mohammed’s father, said Tuesday he didn’t know that his son’s name had been added to the list of terror victims. “We will request that his name be removed from that list,” he told the Nazareth-based Ashams radio station.
“We don’t need the recognition … we’re not Israeli citizens. Instead of this list we want justice and the prosecution of the criminals. We’re very concerned that they won’t receive the appropriate punishment.”
The suspects in the Abu Khdeir case are currently on trial at the Jerusalem District Court. In November the main suspect, a 29-year-old man, declined to respond to the charges due to what his lawyer said was an inability to communicate.
The other two suspects, teenagers, played down their role and denied the charge of premeditated murder.